Speech & Language Therapy
MS can cause a range of difficulties that Speech and Language. Speech and Language Therapists (SLT) are specialists in communication, swallowing and cognition.
Therapy can help with:
Cognition / Memory
- Do you forget words or names?
- Do you have problems concentrating when listening or completing tasks?
- Do you have problems processing and remembering what is said?
- Do you have problems taking in what you have read?
- Do you have increased difficulty with spelling?
- Do you have more difficulty expressing your thoughts?
- Do you more difficulty with planning, organising and problem solving?
Speech / Voice
- Does your speech sound less clear, slow or slurred?
- Is your voice loud enough for all speaking situations?
- Does your voice sound hoarse or weak?
Eating and Drinking
- Do you experience discomfort or difficulty chewing?
- Do you cough or choke during or after eating or drinking?
- Do you feel food sticking and struggle to clear it?
How can Speech and Language Therapy help?
Your first appointment will be a consultation to find out more about the problems you are having and how they are affecting you. It can be helpful to bring a family member, carer or friend, as often advice given can help them too.
We will work together to help you understand more about your difficulties and provide support and treatment programmes to help.